Home > Publications
Academic Year 2013
- Makihara, D. (2013) Challenges in rice cultivation in Africa and their countermeasures. Research for Tropical Agriculture 6: 33-37.
- Kihoro, J., Bosco, N. J., Murage, H., Ateka, E. and Makihara, D. (2013) Investigating the impact of rice blast disease on the livelihood of the local farmers in greater Mwea region of Kenya. SpringerPlus 2: 308.
- Shelley, I. J., Nishiuchi, S., Shibata, K. and Inukai, Y. (2013) SLL1, which encodes a member of the stearoyl-acyl carrier protein fatty acid desaturase family, is involved in cell elongation in lateral roots via regulation of fatty acid content in rice. Plant Sci. 207: 12-17.
- Kano-Nakata, M., Gowda, V., Henry, A., Serraj, R., Inukai, Y., Fujita, D., Kobayashi, N., Suralta, R. and Yamauchi, A. (2013) Functional roles of the plasticity of root system development in dry matter production and water uptake under rainfed lowland conditions. Field Crops Research 144: 288-296.
- Mitsuya, S., Katsutoshi, K. and Takabe, T. (2013) Tissue localization of the glycine betaine biosynthetic enzymes in barley leaves. Plant Production Science 16: 117-122.
Academic Year 2014
- Sakurai, T., Nasuda, A., Murage, H. and Makihara, D. (2014) Impact of adopting a new cash crop: A randomized rice seed provision trial in the Kenyan highlands. The Japanese Journal of Rural Economics 16: 25-32.
- Tran, T. T., Kano-Nakata, M., Takeda, M., Menge, D., Mitsuya, S., Inukai, Y. and Yamauchi, A. (2014) Nitrogen application enhanced the expression of developmental plasticity of root system triggered by mild drought stress in rice. Plant Soil. 378: 139-152.
- Kano-Nakata, M., Tatsumi, J., Inukai, Y., Asanuma, S. and Yamauchi, A. (2014) Effect of various intensities of drought stress on δ13C variation among plant organs in rice: comparison of two cultivars. American Journal of Plant Sciences, 5: 1686-1693.
- Nasuda, A., Sakurai, T., Murage, H. and Makihara, D. (2014) Dual role of irrigation schemes for NERICA diffusion in the central highlands in Kenya: sources of supplemental water and technology information. Journal of International Cooperation for Agricultural Development 13: 29-37.
Academic Year 2015
- Wainaina, C. M., Inukai, Y., Masinde, P. W., Ateka, E. M., Murage,H., Kano-Nakata, M., Nakajima, Y., Terashima, T., Mizukami, Y., Nakamura, M., Nonoyama, T., Saka, N., Asanuma, S., Yamauchi, A., Kitano, H., Kimani, J., and Makihara, D. (2015) Evaluation of cold tolerance in NERICAs compared with Japanese standard rice varieties at the reproductive stage. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science, 201: 461-472.
- Tran, T. T., Kano-Nakata, M., Suralta, R. R., Menge, D., Mitsuya, S., Inukai, Y. and Yamauchi, A. (2015) Root plasticity and its functional roles were triggered by water deficit but not by the resulting changes in the forms of soil N in rice. Plant Soil. 386:65-76.
- Kameoka, E., Suralta, R., Mitsuya, S. and Yamauchi, A. (2015) Matching the expression of root plasticity with soil moisture availability maximizes rice productivity under drought. Plant Production Science18: 267-276.
- Mitsuya, S., Tsuchiya, A., Kono-Ozaki, K., Fujiwara, T., Takabe, T. and Takabe, T. (2015) Functional and expression analyses of two kinds of betaine aldehyde dehydrogenases in a glycinebetaine-hyperaccumulating graminaceous halophyte, Leymus chinensis. SpringerPlus 4: 202.
- Kurokawa, Y., Noda, T., Yamagata, Y., Angeles-Shim, R., Sunohara, H., Uehara, K., Furuta, T., Nagai, K., Jena, K, K., Yasui, H., Yoshimura, A., Ashikari, M. and Doi., K. (2016) Construction of a versatile SNP array for pyramiding useful genes of rice. Plant Science 242: 131-139.
- Menge, D., Kameoka, E., Kano-Nakata, M., Yamauchi, A., Asanuma, S., Asai, H., Kikuta, M., Suralta, R.R., Koyama, T., Tran, T.T., Siopongco J.D.L.C., Mitsuya, S., Inukai, Y. and Makihara, D. (2016) Drought induced root plasticity of two upland NERICA varieties under conditions with contrasting soil depth characteristics. Plant Production Science 19: 389-400.
- Kameoka, E., Suralta, R. R., Mitsuya, S. and Yamauchi, A. (2016) Developmental plasticity of rice root system grown under mild drought stress condition with shallow soil depth; comparison between nodal and lateral roots. Plant Production Science 19: 411-419.
- Kano-Nakata, M., Inukai, Y. and Yamauchi, A. (2015) Mechanisms of development root plasticity for plants adaptation to water stress in rice. Root Research 24: 53-62.
Academic Year 2016
- Kundu, C. A., Ishii, M., Sato, K., Masunaga, T., Wanjogu, R. K., Njagi, R. E., Yamauchi, A. and Makihara, D. (2016) Evaluation of soil chemical properties under paddy production system in central Kenya: soil exchangeable cations. Journal of Agricultural Science 8: 136-148.
- Gichuhi, E., Himi, E., Takahashi, H., Zhu, S., Doi, K., Tsugane, K. and Maekawa, M. (2016) Dentification of QTLs for yield-related traits in RILs derived from the cross between pLIA-1 carrying Oryza longistaminata chromosome segments and Norin 18 in rice. Breeding Science 66: 720-733.
- Gichuhi, E., Himi, E., Takahashi, H. and Maekawa, M. (2016) Characterization and QTL analysis of Oryza longistaminata introgression line, pLIA-1, derived from a cross between Oryza longistaminata and Oryza sativa (Taichung 65) under non-fertilized conditions. Rice Research 4:3:174.
- Gichuhi, E., Himi, E., Nisar, A., Takahashi, H. and Maekawa, M. (2016) Preliminary QTL detection for improving Basmati rice in F2 population derived from the cross between Kernel Basmati and pLIA-1 carrying Oryza longistaminata chromosome. SABRAO Journal of Breeding and Genetics 48 (4) : 402-415
- Wainaina, C. M., Makihara, D., Samejima, H., Kikuta, M., Menge, D. M., Kimani, J. M. and Inukai, Y. (2017) Development of a new cultivation technology for cold stress escape through flowering time manipulation by water management in the highlands of East Africa. Journal of International Cooperation for Agricultural Development 15: 32-41
- Kikuta, M., Makihara, D., Arita N., Miyazaki, A. and Yamamoto, Y. (2017) Growth and yield responses of upland NERICAs to variable water management under field conditions. Plant Production Science, 20 :36-46.
- Malemba, G. M., Nzuve, F. M., Kimani, J. M., Olubayo, M. F. and Muthomi, J. W. (2017) Combining ability for drought tolerance in upland rice varieties at reproductive stage. Journal of Agricultural Science 9(3): 138-150.
- Furuta, T., Ashikari, M., Jena, K. K., Doi, K. and Reuscher, S. (2017) Adapting genotyping-by-sequencing for rice F2 populations. G3: Genes, Genomes, Genetics 7(3): 881-893.
Academic Year 2017
- Kundu, C. A., Ishii, M., Sato, K., Wanjogu, R. K., Makihara, D., Yamauchi, A. and Masunaga, T. (2017) An assessement of paddy production system in Central Kenya with special reference to micronutrients. Journal of Agricultural Science 9(6): 49-63