This 5-year research project will establish a base for rice breeding and cultivation technology development for improving rice productivity and yield stability in Kenya. To this end, the project is engaged in producing the following outputs:
- A base for developing rice varieties for Kenya is prepared.
- Locally available varieties in Kenya are characterized for use as breeding materials.
- Breeding lines carrying useful genes/QTLs to overcome stress conditions in Kenya are produced.
- A procedure for verifying improved cultivation technologies in farmer's fields is developed.
- Cultivation technologies that ensure functional expression of useful traits in individual varieties are developed.
- High-quality rice researchers in Kenya and Japan are fostered.